If you’re going to Greece, you’re probably going to Athens. You really won’t want to miss all of the monuments that represent such amazing events in the history of time.
My trip to Greece was short and sweet, but I hit the major sites and you should too.
Here are 5 things you should not miss in Athens:
This is the famous ancient city located on top of a hill overlooking all of Athens. The views from up here are unbelievable.
This former temple is located within the Acropolis, and the most classically famous building you imagine of when you think of Greece. Therefore, you must visit.
3. Hadrian’s Arch & Temple of Zeus
The monuments are located right next to each other.
This neighborhood in Athens is full of quaint shops and restaurants. It’s one of the quietest areas in Athens, yet most fun to explore. The buildings are colorful and covered in vines…this area can be very romantic :). Don’t miss the crepes at Cafe Plaka!
5. Foot exploring & Shopping
There are tons of ruins of ancient buildings scattered throughout the city. It’s fun to just stumble upon treasures, and see what you can find. To help, there are amazing shops and restaurants all over that will give you a little break or extra boost in the heat.
Helpful Tips –
- Don’t plan a flight past the time the metro closes…cabs are ridiculously expensive.
- You get a great discount at the main sites if you present a student ID, even if you graduated 4 years ago…
- It’s HOT most of the year. Dress breezy.
- There’s a beach about 40 minutes (by metro) of the city. Venture there if you wish!
Thanks for reading about my short stay in Athens. It’s a massive city and there is so much more to explore! Going to Santorini too? Read my blog about it here.
Check out my website for more gorgeous destinations.
Follow me on Instagram @jessica_pfeiffer_