The book read: Like A Virgin by Richard Branson
Richard Branson is a highly liked and respected entrepreneur, who founded the Virgin Group, which is comprised of around 400 companies. These companies include Virgin Mobile, Virgin Airlines, and Virgin Records…to name a few.
The billionaire tells stories about his first business in high school and everything thereafter, and what drove him to be the person he is today. The book gives you tips on how to go out there and get what you want, and how to be a successful leader in a business. Great read, written by a very very successful human. Read this book & get like Mr. Branson!
My thoughts and questions:
- Only a fool never changes his mind.
- People are the key to success!
- Be different & lead by listening.
- Listen to your employees! They are the ones dealing with the business first-hand.
- You can negotiate competitively without aggression. More determination. Be passionate!
- Never be too proud to admit that you are wrong as a leader and always accept suggestions that are better than your own.
- When it comes to helping a customer, the chain of assistance is only as strong as its weakest link.
- Critical talk of others is a poor reflection on your own character.
- Implement decisions quickly. Always be prepared, although, for what could go wrong. Protect the downside. If it’s not working, get out and move onto the next thing.
- Be agile.
- Have fun, be quirky, take everything less seriously.
- It is far better to under-promise and over-deliver than vise versa.
- Managers should constantly question the way people do things and encourage employees to do the same.
- Intrapreneur: an employee who is given freedom and financial support to create new products, services, and systems, who does not have to follow the company’s usual routines or protocols.
- Richard has invested in deep sea exploration, space exploration, going green in the air with bio-fuel, etc..
- Always listen, seek advice from multiple sources…bounce ideas off all people, hear someone out before telling them others suggestions. By listening to others, your own thoughts may be persuaded for the better without knowing.
- Look for app gaps! (areas/industries that apps don’t exist for yet)
- 90% of success in life is just showing up.
- More face to face contact helps communication.
- Sustainable energy is the next gold rush!
- In one hour, the earth receives more energy from the sun than is consumed by the whole of our society in one year!
- When trying to sell investors – KISS: KEEP IT SIMPLE, STUPID.
- Create clear, concise plans that investors can easily understand and repeat to their people.
- What makes your product or service different? Will it improve the customer’s lives? Why would people buy/use it?
- Overcoming adversity is the mark of a true entrepreneur.
- The more actively and practically engaged you are in your business (or anything), the more successful you will feel.
- Think big, build small.
- INVEST IN YOUR EMPLOYEES!
- He who resists can only lose.
Richard is extremely lighthearted about life and his businesses. He is always very different than the next, and finds ways to have fun creating a legacy. There is a lot to learn from him!
Thanks for reading, and I hope you enjoy, Like a Virgin!
You can purchase here:
Like a Virgin: Secrets They Won’t Teach You at Business School